Tuesday 27 July 2010

All those psychos

I am thinking in all those characters that are impossible for me to forget. Once u let them in...That's it: They introduce in your bones a new kind of fear to the beast in society.
I could mention, ie., Christin Bale, Jack Nicholson, Anthony Perkins, Anthony Hopkins (gosh, his Hannibal was like nothing I've seen before)
In "No Country for Old Men" Mr Bardem played a psycho who, in the place of a soul, had only obsession and a chilly emptiness full of credibility.
I would like to say that that was the performance of his life, not just because it won him his first Oscar but because in that movie Javier is simply brilliant.
But, being following him since I am 15, I must say his work for the cinema made in Spain is as good as the one he delivered for the yanks,therefore the "world".
He was mesmerising in "Dias Contados", in "Los Lunes al Sol", in "Mar Adentro" and in my favourite one: Benito, the macho man who made everything with a touch of class, the help of Julio Iglesias and... bollocks. "Con Dos cojones", as his character would say. Actually, I can't wait for him to get a second Oscar because after "Huevos de Oro", for me, Bardem is the man who likes to have two of everything. Sorry Pe.. tie him close...Just in case...
Today I've seen a psycho as disturbing as his.
Casey Affleck made me shiver in his personification of a sheriff out of law in "The Killer Inside Me". This film has the most shocking and disturbing scenes I've seen since Lars Von Trier's "The Antichrist".
I am still wondering if its that violence has a purpose and all I can think of is in the lack of light in Affleck's eyes, his facial rictus, his understanding of the cool man who though he had everything under control; under his evil will, everyone becomes a puppet, a victim of his lost rationality.
Sometimes a story only makes sense thanks to the rhythm insulated by the actors who bring it to life. "The Killer Inside Me" must be one of those cases because I don't really get it though I know that in art not everything has to have a fixed determination. Which makes of this movie a brave approach to the mind of a man who is terrifying, whose life is sum of days and his love ones material of the killer instinct that possesses him.

I wouldn't say this film is made to entertain, unless someones has funny tastes. So maybe I'll watch it again...to search for the meaning and "enjoy" once more Casey's job. Unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment