Sunday 3 April 2011

No limits

Here it comes a new one. Hopefully, soon to be more, for I start to have more spare time for this, for me and the city. I can walk around further than Russell Sq once again. It feels good wanting to explore all those things that were here all this time, unnoticed. How did I dare not to stop looking? But here it comes this feeling again. It makes me happy.
I already know what I wanna do when I finish this degree. I'll probably go to a music store in Oxford St or Covent Garden, find some nice books about country, maybe get some recommended dandy records in the genre and get my head into it. I wanna learn more about this type of music.
This "culture" of You tube is great, but it only gives a fragmented knowledge of the whole thing. It might be worrying later on, when we have lost the roots of where our tastes come from. For those who think that Internet is the panacea of enlightenment, it should be good to remind them that education about using it, it's as crucial as clicking enter when our brains are blank.
With Internet we don't listen to the whole albums any more. This rush to acquire a nice "top" list of tracks vanishes the musical experience of putting the plastic (or vinyl) roundies in your machine and let the world outside disappear.
Certainly, new technologies give many options...But it also threaten the right to step outside the mainstream directed just by curiosity instead of some capital interest.
Anyway, let's leave the nostalgia of the smell of a recently acquired book for another day.
Today I feel like listening to some good lyrics and discover the roots of my favourite music. It has to feel nice. Like it does reading this P. Norman biography of the Rolling Stones. I like it. It's very naive or simply stupid to think you know everything about any subject. Regardless having been listening to this band for the last 15 years of my life, I know very little about them. And in all these small details I am discovering, courtesy of a proper groupie, I get to like them even more than I used to. And, yes, it is possible.
So I guess it is nice to realise that thee is still some will to keep on going deeper. It's nice to see there is no limit, just the one you set.

No comments:

Post a Comment